Bookmark & Share

Friday 9 July 2010

London to Brighton Bike Ride - Fun for First timers

Every year around 27,000 riders take part in the London to Brighton Bike Ride. This huge fundraising cycle event covers a distance of 54 miles. The ride departs from Clapham Common in South London and finishes on Brighton's seafront. It's a fun event for all and can be covered at your own pace with regular stops on the way for you to rest and re-fuel. This year's event will take place on 20th June and you can register through the British heart Foundation.

I completed the ride on two occasions a few years apart and the second time proved to be easier as I knew what to expect. At a comfortable pace you are looking at completing the distance in 3-4 hours but as this is not a race, it's entirely up to you.

The earlier you prepare, the easier the cycle ride will be. Make sure you have had plenty of time out on your bike to get your legs used to ride for at least a couple of hours non-stop. The first time I rode in the London to Brighton bike ride it was June 1998 and I had only been cycling properly (to and from work, 16 miles each way) for about a month. The best piece of advice I had was to get myself some decent cycling shorts (with padding) and a Gel saddle! (sore bottom is inevitable!) Also, make sure you choose an early start time as this will ensure you have more of a chance of trouble free cycling as further down the pack you can get a bit bunched up.

Everyone kept on telling me that the thing to watch out and prepare for was "Big Hill" (Ditchling Beacon)near the end which was a killer. Much to my dismay, this wasn't the only hill to watch out for. There are a few up- hill points along the way through some narrow country lanes. The things to watch out for are other cyclists who cycle at different speeds and some stop in the middle of the route. This is further enhanced by fast riders who are evidently "time trialing" and will overtake you on the inside and outside and any other way they possibly can. I found this out the hard way as my chain came off during one of these uphill struggles where I was stuck behind a group of slow bikes slap bang in the middle of the road. I had to negotiate myself and bike through the passing cyclists to the edge of the road to make a quick repair and continue.

On my first outing, I rode with a couple of friends which was fun then the second time was with members of my health club. My friends and I had an agreement that if we got split up we would meet at the next rest stop which worked for most of the journey and we had a good laugh. There are approximately 16 official refreshment stops along the 54 mile route and 5 hills in total that will test your fitness levels. After struggling up "Big Hill" at a snail's pace, it was a lovely long downhill freewheel ride at high speed and then a leisurely cycle into Brighton and down to the sea front followed by a well earned drink.

Have fun and enjoy the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment